Friday 15 April 2016

My Soul to Keep & Down to My Soul by Kennedy Ryan (Soul Series #1 & 2) ~ #bookreviews #rockstarromance


http://amzn.to/1WqJqXT
My Soul to Keep (Soul #1)


by

It seems the things worth keeping are often the hardest to hold...

KAI

I had two things in life that mattered. My mother and my music.
Mama was taken from me too soon, and now music is all I have left. It’s the thing that’s pushed me right out of backwoods Georgia into Los Angeles, where the line between fantasy and reality shimmers and blurs. I’m finally making my way, making my mark. I can’t afford to fall for one of music's brightest stars. Not now. Music is all I have left, and I’m holding on tight with both hands. I won’t let go, not even for Rhyson Gray.

RHYSON

I had one thing in my life that mattered – music. The only constant, it’s taken me to heights most people only dream about; a gift dropped in my lap at birth. I thought it was enough. I thought it was everything until I met Kai. Now she’s all I think about, like a song I can't get out of my head. If I have to chase her, if I have to give up everything - I will. And once she's mine, I won't let go.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25905605-my-soul-to-keep?from_search=true&search_version=service

BUY: AMAZON (US) | AMAZON (CAN)


Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Author
Genre: Rockstar Romance
Part 1 in a series



My Soul to Keep Review . . .

I have to admit that this book was my first Kennedy Ryan book *insert gasp here* and it was a very pleasant surprise.   How could it not be when we have a very thoughtful sexy rock star involved.

Kai is morning the loss of her mother but still trying to live her dream however, she's really just a shell of herself with this loss.  When she gets to hear and meet Rhyson Gray up close and personal, for the first time in a long time that spark of life is rekindled.  However, everything about Rhyson scares her so she quickly puts him in the friend box.
~ I want him, but I can't have him.  Not and be who I want to be.  Not and do the things I want to do.  There's too much of him.  Not just physically.  His presence.  His talent.  His fame.  It's this fabulous vacuum I won't be sucked into.  I'm afraid if I have him completely, he'll take all of me.~
Rhyson has always known music and loves it but for most of his life everything has been controlled and the only escape is music but one look at Kai and he realizes that that she's also an escape and one that's so much more rewarding than music is to him, however he will have to do a lot to convince her especially since he's been friend zoned.
"I don't know what I want, Grady."
"Are you sure about that?"  I look up to find Grady's eyes, knowing, wise, studying my face.  "Or are you just afraid of having it?"
Kai has some deep seated issues with abandonment and some large daddy issues yet she knows that if she completely lets Rhyson in, that he's the key that could completely destroy her more than the loss of her mother was to her.  But the pull between these two is undeniable and eventually Kai caves but her past makes her make some poor decision making in the present.

Not all relationships run smoothly, especially at the beginning as you get to know each other, but both of their issues take this bumpy transition to a whole new level.  Thankfully their connection and chemistry is through the roof cementing their bond otherwise this relationship would have been in a shambles.  Finally these two seem to get their shit together while both of their careers start to take off but than all of a sudden the anvil drops and we are left with a bit of a cliffhanger not knowing if these two will work out.

4 It's not always easy when you fall for a rock star thumbs up!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Lauren




BUY: AMAZON (US) | AMAZON (CAN) 



http://amzn.to/1oVOrtZ
Down to My Soul (Soul #2)


by

RHYSON

She doesn't wear my ring.
We never stood before a preacher.
The only vows exchanged were between our bodies; between our souls.
But she was mine and I was hers until I ruined it. I have to believe that every day, every step, every breath brings me closer to making things right.
To making her mine again.

KAI

I've seen promises broken.
I know love makes no guarantees.
But things were different for Rhys and me, until he lied, and I walked away. Only there's a chain between our hearts that I can't break. Even if I forgive him, a shadow from my past hangs over us; over this love that reaches all the way down to my soul.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27238995-down-to-my-soul?from_search=true&search_version=service

BUY: AMAZON (US) | AMAZON (CAN) 


Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Author
Genre: Rockstar Romance
Part 2 in a series



My Down to my Soul Review . . .

Down to My Soul starts with Kai putting her own career first after Rhyson tried to do the right thing but with the wrong execution.  Yes, Rhyson screwed up big time but he's now desperate to have Kai forgive him.  And Kai's having nothing to do with that letting all of Rhyson's attempts go into a holding pattern.  Not only is Kai keeping Rhyson on hold she's also now being blackmailed while she's working around the clock with this new opportunity for her.

Rhyson had the right idea but Kai's issue are deep causing her to be very stubborn when it came to forgiveness but she was brought up well and eventually knew that she had to give him his wish if she wanted any happiness.  However, since Kai learned absolutely NOTHING from the first book she decided to keep another secret and lie to Rhyson. :(

I'm so mad about Kai's decision to keep yet another secret.  I was hoping she was going to learn her lesson from the last book, but nope not the case.  And ironically if anyone could have eased that burden it would have be Rhys, but nope she had to be stubborn and try to fix it on her own, with NO actual plan.

I know that I will be in the small percentage with my review and my dislike for Kai but come on.  These kind of heroines drive me bat shit crazy.  For 80% of the book she kept this secret while Rhyson was thinking that they were resetting their future.  When finally the secret came out which we all knew would because you can't keep a secret that big,  Kai was quick to beg for forgiveness when Rhyson wanted some space to process her deceit.
"I was wrong,"  I rush to say. "Rhys, I was wrong about that.  If you love someone the way we love each other, it is enough.  It has to be."  He starts toward the door, and I barely hear his last words, but I do. "Well, now we'll get to see, won't we?"
I so wanted to love Kai but COME ON.  She didn't talk to him for TWO months and when he's upset she can't stand even five minutes of him being upset, which unfortunately was very hypocritical of her.  I loved the idea of this book way more than the actual book.  Sadly for me when I start to get frustrated with the heroine it starts to create a simmering anger causing a visceral response in the opposite direction.  Instead of falling for these two I was getting more and more frustrated with Kai,  Thank goodness I fell for Rhyson otherwise I may not have finished the book.
You can't just run every time we fight.
For others, you will love the angst of this story but for me the angst fell into the negative category.  Annoying, running, martyr heroines are my least favorite type and sadly Kai completely fit into this category.  I loved the idea of the book and I was wanting so much more from it than just angst, especially with the super strong bond between them.  Thankfully for not only Rhys but there were so many other great characters that helped offset my dislike for Kai.  Like Grady, Sans, Grip and Aunt Ruthie.  It did take me awhile to warm up to Bristol but she eventually warmed enough that we got to see a different side to her.  My fingers are crossed that Bristol and Marlon aka Grip get their own story.

Even though I was frustrated with Kai did I like the rest of the book?  Yes! If there is more to this series would I continue?  Yes, since now I'm super invested.  Would I read more from this author?  Absolutely. Just because I didn't love her main heroine doesn't mean I don't like her writing.

2.5 to 3 Thank goodness for Rhyson thumbs up!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Lauren



BUY: AMAZON (US) | AMAZON (CAN)  














No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.