Friday 17 May 2019

Standing Sideways by J. Lynn Bailey #bookreview

Standing Sideways

by
When Livia Stone suddenly loses her twin brother, Jasper, she must learn to navigate her new life alone. As she faces tragedy and starts down a road toward
self-destruction, Daniel enters Livia’s life—at a moment when she needs it most.

Standing Sideways is a poignant, relevant, and touching story of survival, courage, and compassion that will have readers crying, laughing, and most of all, debating the issues affecting the lives of parents and teens alike on a journey of hope and forgiveness.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36636598-standing-sideways?ac=1&from_search=true




Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Xpresso Book Tours
Genre: NA contemporary Romance
Standalone


My Standing Sideways Review . . .

" . . . But this is out of your control.  You won't feel less abandoned by seeking acceptance through another's affection." 

This book took me quite a bit to get into.  At first I thought it was the writing as Liv always talked about her parents by their given name instead of mom and dad, which threw me quite a bit.  But once Daniel makes an appearance in the book it slowly started to grow on me.

"I've never witness a heart break with my eyes, but I have now.  I want to put the pieces of you back together.  Build a mold around your heart.  Made of titanium and all matter indestructible, so it never gets broken again."

I thought the concept of addiction was well represented and so many youths don't realize they have a problem.  I thought this gave a good insight into it.  After losing her twin Livia (Liv) is BROKEN and the only relief she got was pills or alcohol.

Alcoholism is a disease of perception. 

Thankfully her best friend Cao was amazing.  We all need friends like that whom support and love us no matter what.

"And just because you've lost your way doesn't mean I won't help you find it because you don't give up on others.  It might be that you can't see the light right now, Liv, but I do.  I'll be your eyes until you can see the same person I see sitting in front of me." 

I liked the quirkiness of Liv and Daniel.  I was confused a bit about her behaviour with Simon (Jasper's best friend) but that all came out with the addiction and also with Jasper and Simon's secret. 

But, if we don't have forgiveness in our heart, the pain will take front seat, and it will eat us alive from the inside out. 
"You are worth fighting for, Livia, today and all the tomorrows.  I'm the man who is supposed to be your person until the rest of the tomorrows run out."

There were a few things that confused me like when did her parents get back together?  That felt out of no where.  Also what was said in the letter she received.  It felt like a big thing then there wasn't any references to it after.

All in all it was good but it was slow going for me.  However, it was a good topic of loss and addiction and I thought those two were captured well.  


3 Sideways thumbs up!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Lauren














No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.