Thursday 21 August 2014

Within These Walls by J.L. Berg - #bookreview

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQGNOXQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00MQGNOXQ&linkCode=as2&tag=lirebr-20&linkId=ZOHF3C4GXAAHYVBP
Within These Walls

by

Within these walls, he became my solace, my sanctuary and my strength.

I am not strong. I am just a survivor of circumstance.
Isn’t that what we all do? Survive?

Each of us has our own set of circumstances to muddle through. Mine are just more…complicated.

Born with a severe heart defect, I’ve seen the inside of a hospital room more than my own bedroom.

I was drowning, a prisoner to the illness that owned me, until he appeared. He thinks he’s blocked out the world with his tattoos and hard exterior, but I see the real Jude, the one he so desperately wants to forget.

But is he the answer to my prayers or will he break my already damaged heart forever?

My name is Lailah Buchanan, and this is our story of hope, redemption and sacrificing it all for the one you love.




**A portion of sales during the first week of release will be donated to a children's heart charity.**


Source: eARC for Honest Review Courtesy of Author and Inkslinger PR
Genre: NA Contemporary Romance

My Within These Walls Review ... 

Gah! Let's start with I LOVE J.L. Berg!!!!!!


You know reading this synopsis that J.L. Berg is going to rip out your heart at some point in this book and yep she sure did.  But is was so worth it because this heart ripping is what makes this book that much more powerful. 

Lailah has had a sheltered and confined life due to a life threatening heart defect. 


Jude is a broken man due to an unfortunate event that destroyed his world making him stuck in self induced purgatory.


 As Jude is stuck in the last place he felt alive and whole he stumbles upon Lailah who wakes something up in him that he thought was dead.  There is something about Lailah, that intrigues Jude to want to get to know her more and be part of her life as friends.  The more Jude gets to know Lailah the more Jude realizes what his past choices have affected others.  And with this Lailah becomes more.
"Every angel has wings, Lailah,"
Lailah is stuck within the walls of the hospital, Jude wants to help her experience everything in life that she has missed.  Since Lailah has been sheltered she dreamed up a list of things she wants to experience in life before she dies.  Jude may not be able to due a lot for her but he can help with this.  It is easy for Jude to become friends with Lailah, because his heart belongs to another.
"How did you know she was the one?" he asked, catching me off guard.  "What do you mean?"  I stepped forward in anger. He took a step back and held out his hands again in silent surrender.  "I'm not trying to cause another fight.  I just want to offer a bit of parting wisdom, little brother.  If she was the one, why are you alone at twenty-two? Surely, life wouldn't be so cruel."
The more Jude gets to know Lailah the unthinkable happens to him.  He starts to fall for her.
The ironic part, the real twist of the story that made the fates laugh and cackle high up in the clouds, was the realization that I hadn't even seen the extent of life's cruelty yet because in that moment, I realized two things.  One, I was falling for Lailah Buchanan.  And two, she was dying. 
 For Lailah she just wants the simple things in life, like going to a movie and getting ice cream, because she knows that falling in love won't happen living in the hospital, but then Jude pops into her life and she is willing to take a chance.
" ... Let me fall in love even if it means I'll get hurt in the end.  At least then, I'd know that I'm living." 
Fate has brought these two together but it is not an easy task when death is knocking at your door.
  


Lailah takes a chance on love and life to only have it thrown back in her face which causes her to give up.
" ... Life-it doesn't go on without you."
Lailah may have given up but everyone around her hasn't.  Love is worth the risk.  But are all risks worth it?? 
"We all have prisons and chains that keep up from the one thing we really want in life, Lailah.  Yours were just bigger and stronger than most."
Jude and Lailah's story is a profound sweet story.  It is a rocky journey with many twists and heartbreaking turns but so worth it in the end. 

" ... Life-it really did go on, even after insurmountable grief, debilitating sorrow and a life waiting to begin.  As long as we were able to love and be loved in this world, no heart would ever be beyond repair."

4.5 Sweet yet heartbreaking Thumbs up!
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up. 5
Lauren




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.